[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-139 No reassignment without network service

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Fri Apr 8 12:39:56 EDT 2011

On 4/8/2011 11:58 AM, Scott Leibrand wrote:
> Thanks.  That does indeed sound like a useful service.  I think a
> couple key differences from some of the situations they've seen in
> Europe is that you are targeting rural ISPs, and are actively engaged
> with many of these organizations as customers for more than just the
> address space itself.

Correct, I don't believe we have any customers that only purchase space
from us.

> Are you still reassigning space to customers and going back to ARIN
> for additional space?  Have  you had any problems with ARIN's current
> operational practices on this issue?

We got our last /19 a month or so before IANA issued the last blocks to
the RIRs.  We have not yet used or allocated that space so we haven't
needed to go back and don't expect that we'll be able to get more IPv4
addresses.  We have done that in the past, but our current
recommendation to ISPs is to be aggressive in conservation of their
remaining IPv4 space and to be actively pursuing IPv6 transition strategies.

> Also, have you made any IPv6 reassignments, or seen any demand from
> your customer base to do so?
We have not and we don't (at this moment) see a reason to do so.  We
really only started doing reallocation because service providers were
changing their upstream ISP (because of price mainly) so often it was
creating a burden on my network engineering and end user support staff
doing the network renumbering.  We ran into this problem because these
ISPs were almost universally using IP space allocated by their upstream
connection provider.