[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-139 No reassignment without network service

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Fri Apr 8 12:33:34 EDT 2011

On 4/8/2011 12:15 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> I disagree with you about the problems RIPE has experienced and I also don't feel that this measure
> is draconian at all. It merely requires that LIRs in the ARIN region be providing network services to
> the customers that they also provide address resources to.

So rather than simply requiring that everyone play by the rules, the
best solution is to simply say that if you're not providing connectivity
you can't reassign?  Can you define connectivity in a meaningful way?
T-1?  Ethernet?  Serial link?  How about a GRE or IP-IP tunnel?  56Kbps
leased line?  How would ARIN even know if connectivity is being provided
or not?  Not everyone who is multi-homed is announced via BGP, even
though they should not everyone does.

> I did not draw the same conclusions as you did from the discussion a couple of months back.

Fair enough.  Do find what my company has done to be objectionable?
This the block from post in February about our practices.

So what do you think of what we do today, and have for over 5 years,
which is reassign or reallocate space to ISPs we are not providing a
connection to in order for smaller providers to gain access to portable
address space?  We started doing this to help ISPs that don't qualify in
some way (hard to be multi-homed in areas without more than one
provider) or don't want to deal with ARIN.  You could say we are a
corner case and most of the customers that leverage this service from us
are smaller (often in rural) retail ISPs, which ARIN seems to be
recognizing have different needs from their larger brethren.  I'd also
point out that we push the same requirements down to those ISPs that
ARIN places on us and frankly our ability to accurately assess
utilization is _much_ better than ARIN's because in most of these cases
we're also helping take care of the network infrastructure.  That was
the other reason we started leasing space, we were spending too much
time renumbering networks for ISPs that were desperate to obtain lower
cost Internet connectivity.