[arin-ppml] Proposal 2011-6

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Apr 7 20:12:41 EDT 2011

I've been thinking about this one for while; First nothing should be
returned to IANA unless there is a functioning global policy to
redistribute it to the RIRs.  Nothing should be returned to just sit in
limbo at IANA.  But that global policy itself another discussion, which
is returning to an email thread near you, under the title of Proposal
137. :)

Then, the issue is to strike a balance between two competing
obligations, in a time of scarcity, an obligation to the regional (ARIN)
community and an obligation to the global Internet as a whole.  Overall
at a high level, I believe we should balance this by keeping 50% and
returning 50% of recovered IPv4 assets to a pool for redistribution by
IANA to the RIRs on a needs basis.

For the sake of discussion, assume there will be more or less equal
demand by the RIRs on an IANA pool; That provides a split of 60% to ARIN
and 10% to each of the other 4 RIRs.  Actual distribution will probably
vary some, but probably asymptotically approach that distribution.  Is
that a fair distribution?  I don't know!  But, it possess the attributes
of making no one completely happy, but providing everyone something.  I
suppose you could pick a different initial split between what ARIN keeps
and returns, but 50-50 has a nice ring to it.  An equal obligation to
the regional (ARIN) community and the global Internet as a whole.

Now taking it down another level; I believe this should be any recovered
assets legacy or otherwise.  For technical reasons nothing smaller than
a /24 should be returned, but from a policy perspective I could be
convinced to set that to the equilivant of someplace between a /18 and a
/22.  Is the fragmentation created by pushing one or two /24s around
between the RIRs really worth the effort?  Is it really going to make
that much difference?  But if we get some number of /16s back, maybe 20
or more /24s back, it is probably fair to share some of that with the
other RIRs.

After that I believe we leave it to the staff of the RIRs and IANA to
make the best of a crummy situation.

I guess that is a very long way of saying I oppose this policy as written.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952