[arin-ppml] Final draft of 2010-13 for Atlanta (Rev 1.55)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Sep 30 10:12:00 EDT 2010

On Sep 30, 2010, at 6:59 AM, Hannigan, Martin wrote:

> On 9/30/10 9:44 AM, "Owen DeLong" <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>

>>> I don't believe that we're saying anything different with respect to
>>> inequities. Look at it from this perspective; if you have 1M /28
>>> reservations and you have 1 x /18 reservation, in order to fulfill all or
>>> most of the /28's you'll eat away at the /18.
>>>
>> And if you have 1,000 /25s and 1 /18 you'll eat away at the /25s in order
>> to give something to the /18 guy. Correct. Not giving the entire available
>> space to the first guy in line just because he got there a couple of hours
>> ahead isn't my idea of unfair.
>

> Ah, no. The theoretical /25's and /18's would have been approved based on
> need. An equal reduction for all bolsters the equity of needs based
> allocations. Capping the reduction on the low side is the Robin Hood
> approach.

Look, at some low side point, one has to cap the reduction. If nothing else,
it absolutely impossible to hand out a fractional /32.

I think it is impractical to hand out less than a /28.

I'll point out that you were the one in our earlier discussions who wanted to
raise this threshold rather than lower it.

Owen