[arin-ppml] I Oppose 2010-9: IPv6 for 6rd as written.

George, Wes E [NTK] Wesley.E.George at sprint.com
Mon Sep 27 12:31:33 EDT 2010

I do not support this policy as written either.
I echo Bill's comments below, at least for the first 3 issues that he raises. I'm not totally convinced of the other few regarding addressing efficiency or lack thereof, but I think that there's value in discussing it further.

Also, I think that this proposal would be much stronger if it cited one or more examples of providers who have tried to request additional space from ARIN for this purpose and been denied based on not meeting criteria for additional space according to the current NRPM. Otherwise, I need some convincing that we're solving a problem that actually exists vs policy for policy's sake. Free.FR is cited as an example, but to my knowledge no similar policy carving out special permission for providers that wish to deploy 6RD exists at RIPE, nor is there a similar policy update proposal on the table. Alternatively, the text could point to differences between ARIN NRPM and RIPE IPv6 Address Allocation and Assignment policy that would lead to a request for space for 6RD being approved by RIPE but not ARIN.

Further, I would still like this proposal to be more generic in nature instead of specific to 6RD, as I don't want to see us writing a new policy for every new transition technology that someone wants to implement. People are writing new ones or variants on existing ones nearly every IETF meeting, so if even some of them stick and get implemented, it's not scalable to write policies based on a single implementation, especially as time becomes of the essence post IPv4-exhaustion. As I said before, I'd support something that points out 6RD as an example where RIPE policy would permit and ARIN would not and suggested changes to the necessary wording to fix this, or something that allows for a more generic "allocation to implement a transition technology" with requirements to justify why a second allocation is required, and some of the language in this current proposal regarding temporary assignment, rejustification and reclamation.

Thanks
Wes George, Sprint