[arin-ppml] Preemptive IPv6 assignment

Brian Johnson bjohnson at drtel.com
Tue Oct 12 11:58:26 EDT 2010

I also was there and heard several conversations on this matter. There
are tons of ideas about this, and without diligent research into each,
all of them sound good on their face as a means to prod along
allocations, NOT DEPLOYMENT. We can give every grain of sand on the
planet an IPv6 address/prefix/whatever, but that would not mean that any
of them deploy the prefix. Key difference here.

>"Why not look in the BGP table, take every announced ARIN AS number
>and preemptively assign IPv6 addresses to each associated organization
>that doesn't already have them? Not forever of course... give it three
>years and then the assignments evaporate unless claimed by signing an
>RSA and paying the annual fees."

I'm all about the free giveaways at conferences, but this is a bridge
too far. AS assignment != demonstrated need. We need to ensure we do not
move too  far from the principle that we assign resources on a
DEMONSTRATED NEED basis.

I never said that. :-)

>So I put it to the list. Have we some stick rammed far enough up our
>collective backside that we're willing to tell people: you MUST deploy
>IPv6, it alone will save the Internet's soul. And oh by the way you
>need our permission to start for real. So fill out the form, make your
>checks payable and we'll get back to you.

Please keep your backside to yourself. :-)  I have no such stick and do
not see such a stick in the "collective posterior" of ARIN. I'm excited
to move forward and I feel it is important, but, as always, demand and
scarcity will drive the IPv6 train into the future. Even if we start
telling people they have to get a resource that they do not want, even
if it is a bad/silly decision to refuse the resource, it will not drive
adoption or deployment of IPv6 IMHO. It may even create a bit of a chasm
in the community.

>For your consideration,
>Bill Herrin

It was great to hear you speak at the meeting and I appreciate your
perspectives on these issues. Please keep in mind that the carrot is
always better than the stick, no matter where you are keeping it. :-)

- Brian J.

* Please note that all list members and archive readers may consider
themselves Recipients of this message, in reference to the appended
disclaimer.  (I don't add it myself and can't control it, sorry.)

 CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the
intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review,
copying, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.