[arin-ppml] REQUEST FOR ARIN STAFF Was: Re: Policy Proposal 120: Protecting Number Resources

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Wed Nov 10 03:21:02 EST 2010

On 11/9/2010 5:59 PM, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> Revocation for non-payment is a fair representation of the abandonment
> rate for ARIN-issued resources; it says absolutely nothing about the
> legacy abandonment rate (most of which probably occurred before ARIN's
> formation)

No, BUT section 3.6.1 has the statement:

"...ARIN will maintain, and make readily available to the community, a
current list of number resources with no valid POC; this data will be
subject to the current bulk Whois policy...."

ARIN has publicly defined criteria for determining if a POC is non
respondent in section 3.6

If you make what I feel is the extremely logical assumption
that invalid POCs are tied to abandoned resources, then all you
need to do is look at the current list of number resources with
no valid POC to see how much IPv4 that a reclamation drive
would gain.

The $64,000 question is, where is this list?  Why is it
not provided when it's required by policy, yet this "paid
abandonment list" which is required by nothing, is instantly
supplied by John when asked?

, nor does it say anything at all about folks that are still
> paying fees and/or staying in contact but could no longer justify their
> space if reviewed.

>>> There seems to be a fairly strong consensus that the numbers would be significantly larger if ARIN were actively looking for abandoned or unjustified resources.
>> I'm not sure where this consensus comes from. I don't think addresses
>> are getting abandoned any faster now. Fraud and underutilization
>> are a different matter, but, in terms of abandonment, I think the
>> numbers show that there's not as much as some seem to be claiming.
>
> I don't think the numbers presented so far show _anything_ useful,
> considering that ARIN has never _gone looking_ for abandoned,
> fraudulent, or underutilized space.  They _might_ indicate reporting
> rates, but even that is dubious.

Yes, this is correct - please google "self selected surveys"
if you don't understand that measuring this problem by looking
at ARIN's reports of "paid" registration abandonments is absolutely useless.

Ted