[arin-ppml] REQUEST FOR ARIN STAFF Was: Re: Policy Proposal 120: Protecting Number Resources

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Tue Nov 9 20:59:33 EST 2010

On 09 Nov 2010 18:25, Owen DeLong wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2010, at 2:31 PM, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

>>> So in almost 7 years, we've reclaimed less than we gave Comcast last week.
>>>
>>> Looks like a pretty small problem with minimal gain to me.
>> Keep in mind that's how much ARIN has reclaimed passively, i.e. based on reports of fraud, or due to non-payment of annual fees.
> I believe John said that was the amount reclaimed due to non-payment
> of fees.

The slides referenced earlier referred to multiple causes, so I assumed
the numbers above did as well.  In any event, they're all passive
causes, which was my point.

>  I believe that's a fair representation of the abandonment rate.

Revocation for non-payment is a fair representation of the abandonment
rate for ARIN-issued resources; it says absolutely nothing about the
legacy abandonment rate (most of which probably occurred before ARIN's
formation), nor does it say anything at all about folks that are still
paying fees and/or staying in contact but could no longer justify their
space if reviewed.

>> There seems to be a fairly strong consensus that the numbers would be significantly larger if ARIN were actively looking for abandoned or unjustified resources.
> I'm not sure where this consensus comes from. I don't think addresses
> are getting abandoned any faster now. Fraud and underutilization
> are a different matter, but, in terms of abandonment, I think the
> numbers show that there's not as much as some seem to be claiming.

I don't think the numbers presented so far show _anything_ useful,
considering that ARIN has never _gone looking_ for abandoned,
fraudulent, or underutilized space.  They _might_ indicate reporting
rates, but even that is dubious.