[arin-ppml] Audits

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Fri Nov 5 17:28:06 EDT 2010

On 11/5/2010 2:16 PM, William Herrin wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 1:55 PM, John Curran<jcurran at arin.net>  wrote:
>>   We investigate all Internet number resource fraud reports that are
>>   submitted to<https://www.arin.net/resources/fraud/index.html>    We
>>   do not investigate allegations made on the mailing lists, and for
>>   the sake of the mailing list subscribers do not intend to change
>>   that practice.
>
> Thanks John,
>
> I just want to be clear: under current policy, ARIN considers itself
> empowered (metaphorically speaking) to act on calls to 911. If the
> officer on the corner observes a mugging, he will not give chase until
> someone calls 911 to report the crime.
>
> IF we want ARIN to proactively monitor forums where reports of number
> resource misappropriation tend to first surface and initiate action
> based on information gained there, we would need to draft policy to
> that effect.
>
> Do I correctly understand?

I would oppose such proactive monitoring.  The mailing list's usefulness
would be curtailed if people were looking over their shoulders.  I
personally do not believe that hypothetical examples are anywhere near
as effective as real examples.

Witness my recent example of Leatherman Tools.  I do not believe they
are involved in fraud which is why I would not report them as fraud
to ARIN.  I do not want to have to worry about some young eager intern
at ARIN who is scanning the mailing list and comes across their name
and does not take the time to read the example or history, and then goes
and causes trouble for them.

However, clearly the fact that I used a real life example and named
names, pretty much blew the "we don't have a problem" ship right out
of the water.  I consider that a benefit to discussion that would
have not been achieved with another hypothetical example.

I would also point out that in the past people have mentioned examples
of large cable providers (you can dig the names out of the list archives
if you want) using /29's on point-to-point links as padded assignments
intended to reserve IPv4 within the rules.  Once more, very useful for
discussion, pretty useless for the torches and pichfork crowd.

Ted