[arin-ppml] Audits

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Nov 5 17:16:13 EDT 2010

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 1:55 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>  We investigate all Internet number resource fraud reports that are
>  submitted to <https://www.arin.net/resources/fraud/index.html>  We
>  do not investigate allegations made on the mailing lists, and for
>  the sake of the mailing list subscribers do not intend to change
>  that practice.

Thanks John,

I just want to be clear: under current policy, ARIN considers itself
empowered (metaphorically speaking) to act on calls to 911. If the
officer on the corner observes a mugging, he will not give chase until
someone calls 911 to report the crime.

IF we want ARIN to proactively monitor forums where reports of number
resource misappropriation tend to first surface and initiate action
based on information gained there, we would need to draft policy to
that effect.

Do I correctly understand?

>  Findings of Internet number resource fraud reports are posted on
>  online also at <https://www.arin.net/resources/fraud/index.html>.
>  We've also increased the level of detail in the findings reports
>  in recent quarters per community request.
>
>  (As I have noted already, Ron has submitted several number resource
>  fraud reports recently which have resulted in more than a dozen
>  address blocks being reclaimed as a result...)

Thanks John. As always, I appreciate the great work you guys do.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004