[arin-ppml] Advisory Council Meeting Results - May 2010

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat May 29 08:12:00 EDT 2010

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 3:31 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> In this circumstance, given the number of different inputs to the process
> and the ambiguity of much of the input received, it is not always as
> easy as you might think for the AC to determine consensus, but, yes,
> usually it is.

Owen,

If you're not sure whether you have consensus then you don't. It only
gets complicated when you really want there to be consensus even
though there isn't.

>> The PDP is quite clear that the AC is charged with determining consensus of
>> the community. In my experience, it is relatively easy to determine if
>> consensus exists. Achieving consensus may be monumentally difficult and time
>> consuming but the determination of its existence is straightforward.
>>
>> As I understand the PDP, the AC is charged with the simpler task.
>
> The AC is charged with determining several things, consensus being
> but one of them.

The AC is also effectively charged with making an independent
recommendation to the board as to whether a policy proposal would
improve ARIN. For any given proposal, it get's three chances to do
this within the process, only the first of which also functions to
discourage public participation.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004