[arin-ppml] Advisory Council Meeting Results - May 2010

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu May 27 15:39:20 EDT 2010

> As I see the ARIN meetings, they should be more of a "rubber stamp"
> and less of a "discussion" since frankly the proposals SHOULD have
> been extensively discussed and hashed out ON THE MAILING LIST BEFORE
> THE MEETING TAKES PLACE.

I think this happens, but, there is merit to both and I believe it is appropriate
and necessary for the AC to consider both in their subsequent deliberations.

> There is NO comparison to the hours of time that are available to
> compose an argument or rebuttal on the ML that is logical and well
> thought out, vs the few moments allowed for a "sound bite" at the
> policy meeting.  The former makes for MUCH BETTER policy IMHO than
> the latter.

Fortunately, we are not restricted to either one, and, we are able to
gain the best of both worlds.

> However as I see it, some of the people at the policy meetings
> seem to feel it unnecessary to participate on the ML in any fashion.
> That is probably the reason for Bill's "somewhat different crowd that shows up at the meeting" observation, an observation I find troubling.

For the most part, from my perspective, the people that speak up
at the meetings are by and large active participants on the PPML
as well. One of the things that I think provides an interesting and
important distinction is that it is virtually impossible to do a show of
hands on the mailing list and many mailing list comments fail
to express support or opposition to the particular proposal.

Owen