[arin-ppml] Policy for IANA to hand out v4 post exhaustion question.

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Thu May 20 02:03:22 EDT 2010

> I think Leo put it best when he wrote that the AC's missive was a
"mistake".
> I also think that a lot of hand-waving is taking place over this in
the form
> of deliberate misinterpretation. I read it. I think I got it. They
sent a
> somewhat vague message that I think that was intended to give fair
notice
> that they're going to start to crack down on time-wasters.

Precisely.
Recent history has shown that the ARIN community does not want to change
much in the IPv4 policy. I.e. lots of proposals have come up for a vote
of support, and the support has not been there.

The AC is simply giving notice that they are not going to waste THEIR
TIME on proposals that are not likely to go anywhere. For better or
for worse we have our policies and the runout date for IPv4 is fast
approaching.

>Run out is going to cost people who have continued needs large sums of
>money. I think that it's a good idea to make sure that the IANA has a
way to
>re-allocate any legacy address space returned to it by anyone and
defray the
>expected exorbitant costs as long as possible.

ARIN has no duty to bail out failed ISPs. We did not do it during the
Telecom collapse a few years ago, and I see no reason to worry about
it during the coming shakeup of the industry.

--Michael Dillon