[arin-ppml] Policy for IANA to hand out v4 post exhaustion question.

Hannigan, Martin marty at akamai.com
Thu May 20 02:00:40 EDT 2010

> From: Bill Darte <BillD at cait.wustl.edu>
> Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 16:54:14 -0500
> To: Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at ipinc.net>, <arin-ppml at arin.net>
> Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] Policy for IANA to hand out v4 post
> exhaustionquestion.

[ clip ]

> Marty's text calls for a equally sized allocation for each RIR. I'm
> interested in knowing if this meets some 'fairness' test and is
> congruence with needs-based allocation policy.

One thought was linking the IANA allocations unit to the smallest policy
based allocation unit of all RIRs. The needs/eligibility based portion of
this might create a requirement such as an RIR needs to be "exhausted"
before they can become eligible to participate in a round of allocations
from the IANA. So if an RIR was allocated a /20 based on the min alloc unit
standard they would have to exhaust that allocation before being eligible
for another allocation. That could be fair since any RIR not exhausting
would be skipped over allowing other needs to be fairly fufilled. This also
equalizes the cost of transition. That also addresses the allocation unit
being too large for a region(s). They would likely not be non-exhausted for
long. I would suggest that making Reclaimation Pool allocated address space
non transferable would address any potential regional transfer policy holes.

Question: Does the IANA currently have anything in their inventory besides
/8's?