[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2010-2: /24 End User Minimum Assignment Unit - Last Call

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Mon May 10 18:12:23 EDT 2010

Member Services wrote:
> The ARIN Advisory Council (AC) met on 21 April 2010 and decided to
> send the following draft policy to last call:
>
> Draft Policy 2010-2: /24 End User Minimum Assignment Unit

> Replace section 4.3.2.2 of the NRPM with the following:
>
> 4.3.2.2 Multihomed Connection
>
> For multi-homed end-users who demonstrate an intent to announce the
> requested space in a multihomed fashion to two or more distinct ASNs not
> owned or controlled by the end-user, the minimum block of IP address
> space assigned is a /24. If assignments smaller than a /24 are needed,
> multihomed end-users should contact their upstream providers. When
> prefixes are assigned which are longer than /20, they will be from a
> block reserved for that purpose so long as that is feasible.

This policy does not seem to be a direct replacement for the existing
allowance for PI /24 when a /29 would do, to allow the end-user
multi-homing, along with subsequent finger pointing game of which ISP to
get it from.

End users can be reluctant to properly handle bifurcation events, and
try to address that eventuality with a /24 per site, usually one from
each provider. As a distinct benefit this also gives them TE. So they
may try to collect under both 4.2.3.6 and this new 4.3.2.2

And how does MDN factor in?

I also want to note that pursuant to the comment at Toronto that minimum
justification sizes also seem to serve as a PI cutoff point, this would
enable all customers seeking the /24 that comes with their T1 to be sent
to ARIN. The potential impact could be quite large.

That being said, I still support the policy, but I might be doing that
due to the benefit of my customers and myself that may come to the
detriment of the community. Some soul searching is required.

Joe