[arin-ppml] GUA vs ULA vs ?

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue Mar 30 16:54:44 EDT 2010

Steve Bertrand wrote:
> On 2010.03.29 22:18, David Farmer wrote:
>> Steve Bertrand wrote:
>>> Perhaps IANA should be approached for a 1918 v6. Perhaps I'm out of my
>>> league ;)
>> Essentially, ULA RFC 4193 is the IPv6 replacement for RFC 1918, it
>> provides for random local assignment within the prefix FD00::/8, it
>> provides significant statistical uniqueness, but not a guarantee of
>> uniqueness.
>
> Ahhh. I see.
>
>> ULA-C (Central) is an expansion of this intended to
>> guaranteed uniqueness through a centrally registry with assignments made
>> within the prefix FC00::/8, and reverse DNS delegation should be
>> available if wanted.

I should have added that ULA-C is not currently defined in any RFC, the
whole prefix FC00::/7 is defined for ULA in RFC 4193, but FC00:/8 is
technically reserved, only FD00::/8 has been defined so far. There have
been a number drafts looking to define centrally assigned ULA (ULA-C),
the most current one is at the following URL;

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hain-ipv6-ulac-01

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952