[arin-ppml] FW: IPv6 Non-connected networks

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Mon Mar 29 19:29:38 EDT 2010

Michael Richardson wrote:

> All of this is IPv4 think.
>
> IPv6 networks have multiple prefixes(%)
> You were using the NCN for internal use.

Going with multiplex prefixes as the multihoming solution just means you
need to renumber lots of network hardware any time you change *any* of
your upstreams (assuming an even moderately complex topology).

There's also as-yet-unsolved software-side issues that may or may not be
solved in time.
> (%) While Owen has documented why he feels multiple prefixes won't work,
>     but I've never had the problems he describes.

I'd love to compare this list to mine... can you (or Owen) provide a
reference?

For IPv6 I'm more a software guy (RTMFP in Flash Player does IPv6) than
an operator (sold my last (non-IPv6-capable) ISP a few months ago, have
one IPv6 upstream via tunnel at home).

Matthew Kaufman