[arin-ppml] FW: IPv6 Non-connected networks

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Mon Mar 29 11:54:52 EDT 2010

That's an entirely different problem.  Sounds to me like you need a different ISP.

Nobody, especially me, is suggesting anyone announce a /119.  I am not going to try to advertise a /28 of IPv4 space either.

It is just like the IPv4 space you have now.  You cannot tell me that every IPv4 address in your advertised space is routed and reachable right now.  I know that I have specific addresses blocked at my edge or otherwise blackholed and I have not broken up my BGP announcements to account for them.  I suspect that if I ran a port scan across your space some addresses would be unresponsive.

It would be bad practice to break an IPv4 /19 (for example) into a multitude of smaller blocks because of one IP address in the middle that you didn't want to route.  It is the same for IPv6.

And just like today, if I had a /22 that my ISP doesn't want to advertise then I need to look for another ISP or get a bigger block.

I still don't see the problem.

Kevin