[arin-ppml] IPv6 Non-connected networks

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri Mar 26 11:21:28 EDT 2010

> > Bingo!
> >
> > There is the model for doing reverse DNS for ULA-C. And
> also for the
> > directory of ULA-C registrations which would be at
> http://ula.nro.net.

> No way, go read RFC 5158, that defines this.  It requires you
> to connect to that web site from the 6to4 address range you
> want to register, this is what I call implied authorization.

Minor technical detail. Obviously this is not needed for ULA-C
since the ULA-C registrant has a relationship with the RIR, and
one can assume that when they received their ULA-C address block,
they also received a code that could be used to enable reverse
DNS at http://ula.nro.net. And if their code had expired, the
NRO web page would kindly explain how to go back to the assigning
RIR and get a fresh code.

> But if you can find a way to make it work, I'm happy to
> reconsider.  I just do see how it would work and provide an
> enterprise class solution.

Thanks.
I am assuming that we would only assign ULA-C to organizations
which sign some form of RSA and which maintain an ongoing ARIN
relationship which probably includes a fee covering whatever
services are required.

> I believe this is a good idea.  This kind of stewardship is
> why I believe this should be implemented by the RIRs and why
> it is not going to be as simple and inexpensive as some people think.

Agreed. But if we can get the five RIRs to jointly agree on
policy and process then I think that we can get the IETF to
agree on architecture.

--Michael Dillon