[arin-ppml] Use of "reserved" address space.

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Jun 28 08:30:38 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 7:42 AM,  <michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:
>> Finally, this word 6to4...It does not mean what you seem to think it
>> means.
>
> Perhaps then I misunderstand this comment:
>
>   Not quite correct. 6to4 does not require transiting a
> relay if the target is another 6to4 site. What this means
> is that a clueful content provider will put up a 6to4
> router alongside whatever native service they
> provide, then populate the dns with both the native
> and 6to4 address.

You understood the comment. Unfortunately, the content's poster
misunderstood both 6to4 and the DNS.

DNS is not selective. It won't use the "best" entry, it'll use any
entry. If you put in entries for both native IPv6 and a 6to4 address,
you'll get as much cross-traffic transiting relays (native to 6to4 and
vice versa) as you do 6to4 to 6to4 and native to native.

The public relays are anycasted by volunteers and are generally quite
slow. Suitable for testing and learning IPv6 but completely unsuitable
for production use. You wouldn't want the 6to4 path preferred over
your IPv4 path.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004