[arin-ppml] Use of "reserved" address space.

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Jun 28 06:28:06 EDT 2010

On Jun 28, 2010, at 1:42 AM, <michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:

>> The transition only needs to be to dual stack at one end of the
>> equation.
>> Dual-stacking the content and servers can still be done in time.
>
> First, I think that this is an overly simplistic view of the Internet.
> Second, I think that transitioning the large centralised services over
> to IPv6 will not, for the most part, be done using dual-stack.
> More likely will be separate IPv6 server pools, and proxies which
> allow IPv6 clients to access IPv4 servers. And 6to4, of course.
>
> --Michael Dillon

Well, the large ones that I know of that have done it already are using
dual-stack. I started to name names, but, I don't know for sure which
ones I am allowed to disclose at that level, so, I will not.

I know that it is public that Google is doing IPv4 and IPv6 dual stack
on the same infrastructure if your resolver is whitelisted.

However, it really doesn't matter whether they use dual-stack or other
mechanisms so long as an IPv6 client can reach the same content and
services via IPv6 that are available via IPv4.

My point is that the content and services need to be made available on
both protocols. It was not my intent to dictate specific means of getting there.

Finally, this word 6to4...It does not mean what you seem to think it means.

Owen