[arin-ppml] Use of "reserved" address space.

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Jun 28 06:24:17 EDT 2010

On Jun 28, 2010, at 1:37 AM, <michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:

>> Unless something changes, the transition is to dual stack. Which
>> requires an IPv4 address. From somewhere.
>
> Dual stack is not a transition, it is an addition. By adding IPv6 to
> your network you get closer to transition, but it does nothing to
> help a pure IPv6 client get access to IPv4 resources. Running an
> IPv6 Internet parallel to an IPv4 Internet was a good idea for
> transition 10 years ago when there was a chance for IPv4 traffic
> to just fade away, as IPv4-only devices became obsolete and
> were decommmissioned.
>
> But not today. Nowadays, in order to qualify as an IPv6 transition
> you have to have something (Teredo, 6to4 gateways, NAT-PT) which
> will help interconnect the IPv6 and IPv4 Internets.
>
> --Michael Dillon

You misunderstand what Teredo and 6to4 gateways do in the above
description.

They merely provide tunnels (automatically) to connect IPv6 islands
across IPv4 infrastructure.

NAT-PT connects IPv4 clients to IPv6 services or vice-versa.
The other two do not.

However, what is needed today, as was many years ago is to get as
much content and services as possible to add IPv6 capabilities to their
infrastructure and make their content and services available on both
protocols. With a reasonably good accomplishment of that one relatively
simple goal, the protocol used by the eyeballs becomes mostly
irrelevant and IPv6-only eyeballs become a feasible service.

The rest will take care of itself as we transition later to IPv6-only
almost-everything.

Owen