[arin-ppml] Use of "reserved" address space.

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Jun 26 00:23:48 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Leo Bicknell <bicknell at ufp.org> wrote:
> 240/4 is marked "Reserved for Future Use" by the IANA.  What else
> are we going to use it for, isn't the future now?

Hi Leo,

Personally, the idea I liked the most was converting it into
additional RFC1918 space. 16 more IPv4 /8's aren't likely to carry us
over to a point where IPv6 adoption is sufficiently ubiquitous that we
can begin to phase out IPv4... but they'd make a big difference to an
ISP trying to avoid overlap and improve manageability in its internal
carrier NAT system.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004