[arin-ppml] Use of "reserved" address space.

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Fri Jun 25 16:47:08 EDT 2010

On 25 Jun 10, at 3:29 PM, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> Most Microsoft and Apple products can be fixed via a software update
> mechanism already widely deployed.  This would be just another minor
> patch to most folks going out in the regular cycle.

This seems like an optimistic view of the patching / update cycle.

> I think upgrading all of the routers, including both backbone and
> more importantly home gateways is the larger challenge, they don't
> have that facility.

I agree.  Nor do the web servers, load balancers, firewalls, etc.  I certainly didn't exclude these from the problem's scope.

> But, everyone already has to upgrade those to support IPv6.  Might as
> well get an image that gets you IPv6 + reserved space for the price of
> one upgrade.

I agree.

But, a key difference is that both the source and destination need to support IPv6 before it becomes useful.  The presence of completely different behaviors on each end of a formerly-reserved unicast flow might be more disruptive than the migration to a dual-stack environment.

Thus my suggestion, that it is a good idea to limit the scope i.e. to a Loc/ID backbone environment.

Cheers,
-Benson