[arin-ppml] Use of "reserved" address space.

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Jun 25 15:46:55 EDT 2010

Joe Maimon wrote:

> Leo Bicknell wrote:
>>
>> A year or two ago there was some discussion about "reserved" address
>> space.  Specifically, Class E space, but in a CIDR world one has
>> to wonder why we can't use most of 0/8, 127/8, and 240/4 as regular
>> unicast space.  There were folks who were going off to discuss that
>> at the IETF and with some vendors.
>
> There are/were some Internet Drafts concerning some useful applications
> of this space.

I wouldn't be opposed to this direction, especially the class E space,
I'm a little skeptical of trying to do something with 0/8 and 127/8
personally.

However, I don't believe this is really something that can be
accomplished within the PDP, this needs a directive from IETF to IANA.
Nor, do I believe that any ARIN policy is necessary for ARIN to assign
class E space if IANA were to make it available to ARIN and the other
RIRs.  With policy as-is, if IANA made the space available ARIN would
make these addresses available to the ARIN region.

>> That's potentially ~18 /8's worth of address space "left on the
>> table".  Early review suggested that most of this in several free
>> operating systems could be enabled with simple "user interface"
>> changes; that is there were some checks to make sure they weren't
>> used improperly by tools that set addresses but if those were removed
>> they would be forwarded and treated like unicast.  That is the cost
>> of implementation was low.
>>
>> I realize "everything in the middle" must be upgraded to support this,
>> but considering the level of effort and cost that may go into transfers
>> folks may in fact find using this space cheaper.  I'm surprised there
>> isn't more effort to look into this area.  Is there something going on
>> I'm just not seeing?
>>

> I hope so, you and me both.
>
> Apparently all attempts at something logical for this space are met with
> "Its too late to do any good", which is a self fulfilling prophecy.
>
> Joe

I guess my question to Leo and Joe is, what do you suggest should be
done within the scope of the PDP or ARIN to make these addresses available?

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952