[arin-ppml] Set aside round deux

Keith W. Hare Keith at jcc.com
Fri Jul 30 18:21:44 EDT 2010

>This is likely to change, however, when there
>are no more IPv4 addresses to allocate and current
>netblock owners begin milking their holdings for profit.

When there are no more IPv4 addresses to allocate, I expect a Y2K-type reactionary hype with:

-- The world as we know it is going to end!
-- We have to fix this problem now!
-- Why didn't anyone warn us about this before?!?

There might even be congressional hearings where all sorts of experts testify about the crisis.

I expect that when ISPs start issuing only IPv6 addresses to customers, the companies with web sites that sell things will make sure their web sites support IPv6.

I really don't expect much of a market for IPv4 addresses -- I think it will be cheaper and simpler to implement IPv6 than to purchase or lease IPv4 addresses.

I'm sure that there will be a small number of companies that fail because they didn't anticipate and plan.

In another year or two, I expect IPv6 to hit like a tsunami. Worrying about how many beach umbrellas there are or where they are placed isn't going to make any difference.

Keith Hare

Keith W. Hare                     JCC Consulting, Inc.
keith at jcc.com                     600 Newark Road
Phone: 740-587-0157               P.O. Box 381
Fax: 740-587-0163                 Granville, Ohio 43023
http://www.jcc.com                USA