[arin-ppml] Ending point to point links as a justification for a /30?

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Jul 29 17:45:01 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 10:49:27AM -1000, William Herrin wrote:

> Okay, so let's forget writing policy to this at the moment. Absent any
> policy change, would anybody encourage/object to the ARIN board
> issuing an open letter to the routing vendors to the effect of:
>
> "As you know, we're running out of IPv4 addresses. To help mitigate
> the shortage, we respectfully ask you to implement features in your
> software which enable and encourage your customers to employ RFC1918
> IP addresses within their routing infrastructure. Such features might
> include:
>
> icmp-response interface loopback0
>
> Originate ICMP warnings and errors for packets received on this
> interface using the IP address assigned to Loopback0.

There is this little tool out there called "traceroute", you might have
heard of it. Some of us like it, as it helps keep the Internet running.
Please don't encourage people to break it just to try and save a handful
of IP addresses.

If you'd really like a broken Internet just send me your IP and I can
null route it for you. That way you'll be happy, and we can still keep
it working for everyone else too. :)