[arin-ppml] Ending point to point links as a justification for a /30?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Jul 29 16:49:27 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Joe Maimon <jmaimon at chl.com> wrote:
> That ARIN should be explicitly restricting what is justified use other than
> generally basing acceptable justification activities that conform to
> prevailing normative practices is an idea I am not quite comfortable with.
> The reward would need to be worth the risk. I know of one specific
> utilization singled out, that of name based virtual hosting, but has there
> been any others?

Okay, so let's forget writing policy to this at the moment. Absent any
policy change, would anybody encourage/object to the ARIN board
issuing an open letter to the routing vendors to the effect of:

"As you know, we're running out of IPv4 addresses. To help mitigate
the shortage, we respectfully ask you to implement features in your
software which enable and encourage your customers to employ RFC1918
IP addresses within their routing infrastructure. Such features might
include:

icmp-response interface loopback0

Originate ICMP warnings and errors for packets received on this
interface using the IP address assigned to Loopback0.

ip address always-active

The IP address assigned to this interface is always reachable even if
the interface itself is down.

no suppress rfc1918 icmp

Do not automatically attempt to replace RFC1918 addresses in the
source of ICMP warnings and errors by replacing them with a globally
routable address found on another interface. Default is to replace so
that the error message isn't dropped at the AS border.
"

Thoughts?

Regards,
Bill Herrin