[arin-ppml] Possible amendment to proposal 116 (small experts panel)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Jul 27 23:27:11 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 4:02 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> The panel of experts would need to make use of processes which are
> comparably open, transparent, and bottom-up in nature while developing
> its recommended list of acceptable uses for these transition allocations,
> if we want the the resulting changes are set to be compatible with the
> current Policy Development Process.

Hi John,

You make excellent points. Let me throw a straw man out there and see
if we can beat it up:

Experts panel to recommend acceptable uses for the reserved 4.10 space
Uses not explicitly acceptable are rejected
Recommendations by panel active only upon ratification by the BoT

3 individuals on the panel (keep it small and nimble):
1 from ARIN staff
1 AC member selected by the AC
1 from academia selected by the board (specifically not affiliated
with an IR or any ARIN members)

Use plans (including number of addresses justified by the plan)
crafted by members of the general public. Fill out and post a standard
form to PPML.
1 week discussion and debate. If the author changes the proposal based
on the feedback, the clock starts over at 1 week.
Panel discusses privately following public discussion (conference call
and email). Votes when ready but no later than 1 week following public
discussion.

Unanimous vote needed to recommend a new acceptable use.
Majority vote needed to withdraw a previously accepted use.
(we want to be very cautious with these addresses, so intentionally
make it hard to get new uses approved but relatively easy to remove
obsoleted or abused ones.)

BoT must ratify new acceptable uses. Will reject any recommended use
that fails to fit within the broad definitions selected by the
community in policy 4.10.

No single-entity tailored uses. Panel should reject and BoT should
refuse to ratify uses that are obviously tailored to fit only one
possible organization.

ARIN staff authorized to allocate addresses from 4.10 when presented
with a request containing a use plan that matches one of the ratified
acceptable uses.

Withdrawal only applies to address requests not already filled at the
time the withdrawal proposal was made to PPML. (good faith)

Vote of no confidence - petition of 10 people on the PPML compels the
AC to hold a confidence vote. If the majority of the AC votes no
confidence, the panel is disbanded and must reformed from the same
sources with different individuals. Vote confidence for the entire
panel, not specific individuals.

Panel's recommendations apply only to the /10 set aside by section
4.10. Panel disbands when the last of the /10 set aside by section
4.10 is allocated.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Bill Herrin