[arin-ppml] Possible amendment to proposal 116 (small experts panel)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Jul 27 22:02:53 EDT 2010

On Jul 26, 2010, at 4:31 PM, William Herrin wrote:
> As that picture clarifies, ARIN should be able to respond in a timely
> manner. The 12 to 18 month cycle for policy changes is many things,
> but timely isn't one of them. A small  experts panel, 3 to 5 people
> that meet as needed, could amend the acceptable use list with a
> turnaround time of weeks or even days.

Bill -

The challenge with this approach in that filling in the list of acceptable
uses amounts to filling in the blanks on existing policy.  ARIN's Policy
Development process is fairly specific on how policy is developed, i.e.
(per <https://www.arin.net/policy/pdp.html>):

   "3. Policy Development Principles
    All policies are developed following three principles: open,
    transparent, and bottom-up.

The panel of experts would need to make use of processes which are
comparably open, transparent, and bottom-up in nature while developing
its recommended list of acceptable uses for these transition allocations,
if we want the the resulting changes are set to be compatible with the
current Policy Development Process.

Interestingly enough, we have an elected body of experts (the ARIN
Advisory Council) which follows the existing open, transparent, and
bottom-up PDP process.  If indeed the community feels that there is
an immediate risk that requires faster action than the normal PDP
flow, the PDP already provides for Special Policy Actions which allow
emergency policy to be made very rapidly with appropriate notification
and review by the elected experts which make up the Advisory Council.

To be clear, I am not saying that creation of a small panel of experts
to determine acceptable transition uses is not possible nor implementable,
only that such an panel could develop changes to number allocation policy
in such a manner that Board might find it difficult to ratify while still
following the ARIN's Policy Development Process.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN