[arin-ppml] Possible amendment to proposal 116

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Jul 26 06:47:12 EDT 2010

> I have received some comments on proposal 116 (currently under petition
> for discussion)
> in private email and want to get some community feedback on the idea.
>
> Basically, it has been suggested that rather than the list of example
> technologies and
> leaving the decision of what represents a valid transitional technology
> up to staff that
> the proposal be amended to have the BoT create a panel of experts which
> will meet
> monthly (likely via teleconference) to consider what should or should
> not qualify as a
> transitional technology for purposes of NRPM 4.10 et. seq.

Just leave it open-ended.

The ARIN staff are going to rely on "panel of experts" style advice in
any case. There is no need to codify this kind of detail.

We have a glut of IPv6 addresses. If the transition addresses are mismanaged
and it takes us 5 years of discussion and overthrow of the BoT in order
to get the addresses back, this is still a drop in the bucket and will
not affect regular IPv6 allocation activity.

We just have to get out of this darn scarcity mindset, in particular when
it comes to helping the world get through this awkward transitionary period.

--Michael Dillon