[arin-ppml] How bad is it really?

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Wed Jul 14 15:11:58 EDT 2010

> Whether you consider it fraud, abuse, or negligence, SWIPing resources
> to an
> ORG that is no longer using them (or leaving them SWIPped as such) is
> in
> violation of ARIN policy and the RSA. As such, if you know of a
> situation where
> an ORG has done so, the right thing to do is report it through the
> fraud and
> abuse reporting process.

Actually I think this is a stupid approach and will just lead to
lawsuits.

Martin Hannigan had the right idea when he suggested that you should

1. send an email to the former provider asking for the record to
   be updated, and
2. send an email to ARIN CCing the former provider, asking ARIN
   to clean up the provider's mess.

And none of this needs to be reported to fraud or abuse departments
since it is a simple operational issue of exception handling. Mistakes
are common and you need an exception process to collect mistakes and
shepherd them through to correction.

--Michael Dillon