[arin-ppml] How bad is it really?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jul 14 14:47:03 EDT 2010

On Jul 14, 2010, at 11:38 AM, Martin Hannigan wrote:

> On 7/14/10 2:19 PM, "Owen DeLong" <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>
>> As i said earlier in the conversation, I encourage you and anyone else who is
>> aware of such situations
>> to report them to the ARIN Fraud and Abuse process.
>>
>> That way, ARIN staff can investigate the issue, and, if necessary, initiate a
>> resource review under section
>> 12 of the NRPM to deal with the situation appropriately.
>>

> For actual or suspected fraud, I agree with the overall sentiment of your
> post. Much of this discussion doesn't make me suspect fraud with examples
> used FWIW. This is operational.

Whether you consider it fraud, abuse, or negligence, SWIPing resources to an
ORG that is no longer using them (or leaving them SWIPped as such) is in
violation of ARIN policy and the RSA. As such, if you know of a situation where
an ORG has done so, the right thing to do is report it through the fraud and
abuse reporting process.

> In the case of having resources SWIP'd to an ORG that isn't actually using
> them, it would seem very reasonable to instead request that the ORG remove
> the SWIP record pointing at you and if they don't in a reasonable period of
> time simply ask hostmaster at arin.net to do it via a CC of the request to the
> ORG that created the record. This works like a champ (for me).

If it's your record, that's a reasonable first step. If it's not your record, but, you
have direct knowledge, it's probably best to simply state that to ARIN and
let ARIN work it out with the ORG in question.

> I don't really know how the fraud process internally works and if it is
> actually a fire drill, but why start a one for normal, day to day,
> operational issues?

It's not a fire drill, and, likely the results from using it would be very much like
the results you obtained from the email to hostmaster with much the same
process. However, I think that the fraud/abuse channel is the appropriate
channel for such a report with the possible exception of a direct report
from the organization to whom the resources are SWIPped.

Owen