[arin-ppml] Future pressures on the ARIN policy process (Was: Use of "reserved" address space)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Jul 4 06:43:23 EDT 2010

On Jul 1, 2010, at 7:34 PM, "James Hess" <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not so sure a takeover scheme is even impossible with the current
> limitations.
> If the financial incentive is sufficient,  bad players  could  be
> setting up shell organizations,  and apply for the least-expensive
> resource possible  (AS numbers).

James -

  Just to follow-up on this item: while it remains possible for an organization hostile to ARIN's mission to potentially capture the organization, it is far less likely due to the vetting process that is inherent to resource assignment when taking in combination with the requirement to be a member as of Jan 1 to vote in that years election.   If there were a sudden surge in shell registrations, it would have to occur in the previous year to affect the coming election, and we would have many months before October to confirm the issue and to consult with the community about what next steps (if any) would make an appropriate response.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN