[arin-ppml] Future pressures on the ARIN policy process (Was: Use of "reserved" address space)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jul 1 20:09:27 EDT 2010

On Jul 1, 2010, at 4:34 PM, James Hess wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 5:04 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>
> Adoption 2010-2 may help this.  But the burden of renumbering is high.
> I don't think end users should have to renumber their /24 to a direct
> /24 under 2010-2,
> just to become general ARIN members.
> It will also be impossible after IPv4 exhaustion,  unless they will
> adopt IPv6 and qualify
> for direct assigned IPv6 resources under a similar policy.

If they qualify under 2010-2, they automatically qualify for IPv6 end-user
assignment under current policy, whether they have the IPv4 /24 or not.

>> I didn't characterize the balance of people on PPML or at the meetings
>> at all. I spoke only to the balance of folks voting in the elections
>> for AC and the board.
>
> In regards to this notion that  non-voting orgs can participate in the
> policy development process. It's true that they can participate in the
> discussion.   However, the AC  oversee this process.    Any
> organization that cannot participate in the elections is not really
> _fully_ able to participate.

I agree.  I think it would be better if the AC were elected by the broader
community. The board should, IMHO, still be elected by the membership.

> In theory, in the worst case, the AC or the Board could just ignore or
> interpret the results of the discussion however best suited the people
> who elected them.   The  resource holders with no vote have no way of
> eventually making sure their interests are represented fairly in AC's
> or board's discussions.  I would say they are disenfranchised from
> open participation in the PDP process, despite their ability to
> "discuss".

In all cases, the decision of the AC at least can be petitioned by a relatively
small number of constituents, even if they are not members. I think this does
provide some level of safety valve. It may not be fool-proof, but, I think it is
at least of some help.

Owen