[arin-ppml] Future pressures on the ARIN policy process (Was: Use of "reserved" address space)

Warren Wholesale.com warren at wholesaleinternet.com
Thu Jul 1 15:58:21 EDT 2010

Last year I posted a thread on here about how an organization with
significant enough financial desire (along with a large swatch of IP
addresses) could forestall the migration to ipv6.  Unfortunately, I was
soundly rebuffed by people calling me paranoid. One person [privately]
called me a troll and threatened to report me to the list-police.

It is in my opinion a foregone conclusion that we will be dual-stacking for
the foreseeable future and that requires a continued supply of IPv4
addresses.  That puts current resource holders in a desirable position and
non-resource holders in a non-desirable position.  Right now it’s all fun
and games because everyone can get v4 addresses.  Once the resource is no
longer cheap, this is going to be an entirely different ballgame.

With the impending IPv4 exhaustion I think ARIN changing the voting policy
was the right move.  We need more policies like that.