[arin-ppml] Future pressures on the ARIN policy process (Was: Use of "reserved" address space)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Jul 1 16:00:42 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 2:45 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> You are absolutely correct with respect to the power of the Board
> and ability of a single entity to potentially "capture" the organization
> if they were able to dominate an election at the last minute.  This is
> the type of potential risk that the Board considered when making the
> recent changes in membership and voting.

Hi John,

I agree with the board's decision to do away with "anybody can vote
with a $500 payment," for exactly the reasons you point out but I also
agree with James Hess' comment:

) The restrictions on membership are pretty darn offensive I would
) say...  organizations which are part  of the American RIR community
) which ARIN is supposed to serve but do not have resources directly
) allocated/assigned ARIN are arbitrarily  excluded from joining ARIN.

3450 ISPs and 20 non-ISPs eligible to vote has had a lopsided effect
on the folks selected for the board and the AC. Particularly the AC
most of whom haven't, shall we say, reached the height of
statesmanship achieved by the luminaries considered for the board.

Were the voter groups reversed, how many years ago would we have
sensibly reduced the minimum assignment to /24 for multihomed
end-users? Would *any* AC member elected by 3450 end-user orgs have
voted against recommending /24 for multihomers to the board?

Facing IPv4 address exhaustion, would a board elected by 3450 end-user
orgs accept a pricing recommendation of $1,200 for a thousand IPv4
addresses and only $18,000 for ten million?

I have no magic bullet for this problem. Voting systems are
surprisingly hard to do well and fairly. But Scott wanted suggestions
and one of my suggestions is: look for more ways to solve or mitigate
this problem.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004