[arin-ppml] Future pressures on the ARIN policy process (Was: Use of "reserved" address space)

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 01:47:12 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Keith W. Hare <Keith at jcc.com> wrote:
> We've had a /24 since 1991 and so are a legacy resource holder. We mostly ignored ARIN (because ARIN mostly ignored us) until about three years ago when there was some sort of outreach. At that point, I started monitoring the ARIN mailing lists and decided it made sense for us to support ARIN.

I don't think the above was suggesting there are no end-user members.
The restrictions on membership are pretty darn offensive I would
say...  organizations which are part  of the American RIR community
which ARIN is supposed to serve but do not have resources directly
allocated/assigned ARIN are arbitrarily  excluded from joining ARIN.

The end user organizations without direct assignments that get
resources issued to them by their LIR (or ISP) under ARIN policies,
and their resources are of course still  ultimately subject to ARIN
rules, continued justification of resources, etc.

So.. What is the justification that a legacy /24 holder, can sign a
LRSA and be an ARIN member, and yet an end user org in the ARIN region
who has just a /24 allocation from their LIR (ISP) cannot  be an ARIN
member also,  if they would prefer?

The indirect resource holder can only be  "ARIN Advocate",   AKA
serfs.; entities that support ARIN and provide ARIN financial backing,
but are arbitrarily denied voting rights, and therefore meaningful
representation in what is supposed to be open community driven
processes  (but are thereby restricted).

A significant number of  IP address users with regards to ARIN policy
are thereby arbitrarily excluded.

> Compared to our costs for software and hardware maintenance, $500 for the ARIN membership is noise.
Perhaps, but someone at each end user org still has to make a decision
that money is worth spending.
And I expect most end users are not legacy holders.

Anyways, ARIN is so kind to publish a list of members:
https://www.arin.net/public/memberList.xhtml
So,  as you can see there are  ~3570  entries  shown.

ARIN is also kind enough to publish some statistics  as well   (but
not enough statistics to ascertain)

One can infer, based on AS number utilization,   that  perhaps  not
that large a percentage of end users  are necessarily members.
How many   active end user  org IDs are there actually..?

Presumably one should be able to just  divide  3600  by the number of
Org IDs,  and get a pretty good approximation,   if  every
non-member  Org ID  must be an end-user...

--
-JH