[arin-ppml] Petition Underway - Policy Proposal 95: Customer Confidentiality - Time Sensitive

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Jan 30 20:53:33 EST 2010

On Jan 29, 2010, at 4:12 PM, Aaron Wendel wrote:

>> You can support the idea but not the proposal.  I definitely don't
>> support the proposal.  I am willing to look at the idea, however.  If
>> you can make a logical argument that the current policy as written
>> makes it impossible for ISP's to exclude private individuals or
>> residences in certain circumstances, I'd support a modification to
>> current policy.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  Residential customers are already
> covered under a separate policy allowing them to be deemed "private".  My
> proposal provides equal protection for hosted and collocated customers.

Except that it does not.  It provides somewhat similar protection (if you could
call it that), but, on very different terms.

The proposal as written allows an ISP to exclude the contact data for their
customers solely at the ISP's discretion and allows the ISP to obfuscate
ALL contact data, not merely the name and street address.

The proposal makes this ability to obfuscate the data from public view
solely at the discretion of the ISP and not their customer.

Claiming that it extends the same protections as the residential
customer privacy is disingenuous at best, and, potentially very
misleading to those less familiar with the terms of the two policies.

Owen