[arin-ppml] Petition Underway - Policy Proposal 95: Customer Confidentiality - Time Sensitive

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Fri Jan 29 20:07:43 EST 2010

David Farmer wrote:
> Thanks, Ted that was a good summary.
>
> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>> Naturally the AC will need to make the "official" determination
>> but it looks like we will be discussing this.
> Actually that is Staff's job, if the AC did that, it would be the fox
> guarding the chicken coop.  The the Staff is much better at counting
> then us on the AC anyway, you know they have to count out each IP
> address right, just like a teller does at the bank. :)  Talk about a
> barrier to IPv6 adoption. :)  (only kidding)  ARIN Staff is great!!!
>
> But, I believe most of the AC was watching, I know I was.
>> Marshall your arguments! :-)
> And yes you should do that, may I suggest everyone take a step back and
> take a breath first.
>
> So, a little more serious now;
>
> I would like to ask the community to think about how we all want this to
> work.  Personally, I've been waiting for the petition process to kick
> in. I actually think it is a healthy thing and shows the process is
> working.  But, we are setting precedent, this is the first petition for
> the new PDP, so lets try to make it good precedent and all do our part
> to make the system work.  The first use of the Emergency PDP last year,
> wasn't the greatest experience for our community.  I would hope we can
> make this first a much better experience for us all.
>
> And we all will play a part in making it a good experience.
>
> This got people charged up,

Of course it did.  The success of the petition means one thing - that
the AC made a bad decision.

Nothing wrong with that we aren't all infallible, and that is why
the petition process exists.

My only observation on this is that I think if the AC had been
more specific (and long) on the explanation of why it was dropped
that people might not have supported the petition.

They are not writing a UNIX man page, after all.

Ted