[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 101: Multihomed initial allocation criteria - revised

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Jan 28 13:05:21 EST 2010

Martin Hannigan wrote:

> I'm not really in support of this policy as it stands, but
> might be with edits that clean it up. I don't agree with nibbles. Why
> not get it out of the way now and finally get it off of the to-do list?

I've been working with Chris the original author of this and Cathy the
AC Shepherd for this proposal and have come up with the following as a
complete rewrite of the IPv6 Allocation section.

So what do you all think.  I hope the AC will put this forward as a
Draft policy for adoption discussion in Toronto.  If you have suggestion
  you think should go into this before it goes for staff and legal
assessment please let me know ASAP.

Thanks

----

Policy statement:

Delete section 6.4.3. Minimum Allocation.

Modify the following sections;

6.5.1 Initial allocations for ISPs and LIRs

6.5.1.1. Initial allocation size

Organizations that meet at least one of the following criteria are
eligible to receive a minimum allocation of /32.  Requests for larger
allocations, reasonably justified with supporting documentation, will be
evaluated based on the number of existing users and the extent of the
organization's infrastructure.

6.5.1.2. Criteria for initial allocation to ISPs

Organizations may justify an initial allocation for the purpose of
assigning addresses to other organizations or customers that it will
provide IPv6 Internet connectivity to, with an intent to provide global
reachability for the allocation within 12 months, by meeting one of the
following additional criteria:

a. Having a previously justified IPv4 ISP allocation from ARIN or one of
its predecessor registries, or;

b. Currently being IPv6 Multihomed or immediately becoming IPv6
Multihomed and using an assigned valid global AS number, or;

c. By providing a reasonable plan detailing assignments to other
organizations or customers for one, two and five year periods, with a
minimum of 50 assignments within 5 years.

6.5.1.3. Criteria for initial allocation to other LIRs

Organizations may justify an initial allocation for the purpose of
assigning addresses to other organizations or customers that it will
provide IPv6 based network connectivity services to, not necessarily
Internet connected, by meeting one of the following additional criteria:

a. Having a previously justified IPv4 ISP allocation from ARIN or one of
its predecessor registries, or;

b. By providing a reasonable technical justification, indicating why an
allocation is necessary, including the intended purposes for the
allocation, and describing the network infrastructure the allocation
will be used to support. Justification must include a plan detailing
assignments to other organizations or customers for one, two and five
year periods, with a minimum of 50 assignments within 5 years.

Rationale:

This proposal provides a complete rework of the IPv6 allocation criteria
while maintaining many of the basic concepts contained in the current
policies.  The order of the subsections of 6.5.1 are rearranged moving
the initial allocation size to 6.5.1.1.  This will facilitate adding
future criteria without additional renumbering the current policies.

The initial allocation criteria include the following general concepts;

• The need for an allocation is only justified by the need to assign
resource to customers.
• When the need to provide Internet connectivity is use to justify
resources it is implied the resources should be advertised to the
Internet, within some reasonable time frame after they are received.
• IPv4 resources may be use to justify the need for IPv6 resources.
• An ISP may justify independent resource by being Multihomed or
planning to assign IPv6 resource to some minimum number of customers.
• It should be possible to justify an IPv6 allocation for more than just
classical ISPs, such as non-connected networks or other types of LIRs.
But additional justification should be required, describing the purpose
and network infrastructure the allocation will be supporting.

Finally, section 6.4.3 Minimum Allocation, is deleted as it is
incomplete and redundant anyway.

Timetable for implementation:  Immediate

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952