[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2010-1: Waiting List for Unmet IPv4 Requests

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Thu Jan 28 00:13:06 EST 2010

I didn't mean to hijack/derail the conversation onto a different topic.  My reason for bringing this up was my going through a thought exercise of what it might be like to go through the process that was proposed.  I didn't really like the idea of using ARIN-PPML as an approval authority of requests or arbitration body for deciding what is and what is not "foreseeable" as that varies with experience.

The first thing that came to mind is that it might seem a bit "cabal-ish" and ARIN-PPML would likely be accused of being a cabal the first time someone is told, in effect, "that was a dumb mistake, live with it".

Another likely scenario is that the requester might say "why are you denying me resources when there are larger allocations sitting out there unused" or something to that effect.

And maybe there is a large allocation to some-really-big.com that dwindled down to nothing but a single web server but some company paid a dollar-fifty for the corporate name, web domain, etc.  And so now that huge allocation of IP addresses is being used by bills-fish-farm-and-pr0n.com for 42 web servers and an ftp site but the legal corporate entity of some-really-big.com still sort of exists, kinda.

Once people start being denied resources, all sorts of things are going to fly out of the woodwork and resource reclamation/policing is probably going to be one of those things.

George