[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2010-2: /24 End User Minimum Assignment Unit - Correct Title

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jan 22 17:53:37 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Member Services <info at arin.net> wrote:
> 4.3.6.2 Additional assignments for small multi-homers
>
> Any end-user that possesses an assignment smaller than /22 under any
> part of section 4.3 shall not be able to get an additional assignment
> unless they agree to return all existing 4.3 assignments within 12
> months of receiving a new assignment. The new assignment shall be sized
> to accommodate their existing utilization in addition to their justified
> additional growth space under section 4.3.6.1.

Abuse scenario:

End user registrant holds two RSA /16's and a variety of legacy
registrations including a legacy /24. He has sufficient utilization
and projected growth to justify an additional /20.

Registrant signs an RSA (not legacy RSA) for the /24 bringing it under
the jurisdiction of the NRPM.

Registrant requests additional resources.

Registrant assigned a /14 (minimum CIDR block necessary to accommodate
two /16's a /24 and a /20) and is required to return the two /16's and
/24 within 12 months.

Result: gaming the proposed policy nets the registrant 100,000 more
IPv4 addresses than he would otherwise qualify for.

Owen, I called your attention to the flaw in this text last week. I
thought I pointed it out to you last August too but I could be
mistaken. Either way, you really ought to fix it by constraining the
return to just those assignments smaller than /22.

I'd like to be able to support this proposal.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004