[arin-ppml] V6 address allocation policy

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sun Jan 17 18:48:07 EST 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 6:29 PM, James Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 9:46 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>>>  If techies need to get their managers to approve a checque to ARIN,
>>> the manager tells them to use IPv4 + NAT.  If the techies do not have to
>>> ask, then they will deploy IPv6 for internal use.
>> No joke on that. Three years ago my boss turned me down on deploying
>> IPv6 in my spare time at work on the grounds that there were wiser
>> ways to spend the $1250.
>
> Is it not true that there was a 100%  waiver of the   IPv6  fees  in
> the later half of 2007?

James,

Now that you mention it, there was some kind of waiver in place
because I remember arguing the case that it would be cheaper to get
the addresses then instead of waiting. But it wasn't a total waiver,
at least not for end-user assignments, because if I wouldn't have
bothered to ask.

The current waiver, of course, does not apply to end-user assignments at all.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004