[arin-ppml] V6 address allocation policy

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 18:29:24 EST 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 9:46 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>>  If techies need to get their managers to approve a checque to ARIN,
>> the manager tells them to use IPv4 + NAT.  If the techies do not have to
>> ask, then they will deploy IPv6 for internal use.
> No joke on that. Three years ago my boss turned me down on deploying
> IPv6 in my spare time at work on the grounds that there were wiser
> ways to spend the $1250.

Is it not true that there was a 100%  waiver of the   IPv6  fees  in
the later half of 2007?
https://www.arin.net/fees/fee_schedule.html#waivers

Personally,  I think ARIN should offer something like a   2-year
deferral of  IPv6 fees, in addition to the partial waiver.

In other words:  fees  related to  IPv6  assignments will not actually
be due until  2012 on the anniversary date.   If  you cancel and
return the initial allocation,   no  fees will be charged related to
initial assignment/transfer of IPv6 addresses  (additional transfers
still cost).

If you retain the allocation,  you owe all the deferred charges.

If  IPv6 solves  the problem,  you pay.   If not, and everyone resorts
to  IPv4+NAT,  you don't.

Thereby reducing the risk  of applying for a resource for test purposes...

--
-J