[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 108: Eliminate the term license in the NRPM

Buhrmaster, Gary gtb at slac.stanford.edu
Fri Feb 12 17:28:54 EST 2010

> Stop right there. No one has bothered to explain how it better
> serves the interests of the Internet community as a whole to
> insist that a scarce, exclusively used, transferable resource
> isn't property.

Can we agree that at least in recent practice(*) the number
resource agreement in the various regions have stated that
the numbers are not property?

It seems to me that this proposal is simply trying to codify
that practice by eliminating ambiguity with the agreements
that one is already signing.  Ambiguity leads to misunderstanding.
Misunderstandings (in contracts/policy/pracitice) are bad.

Gary

(*) Let us not forget, but not deal with, the pre-ARIN
    (legacy) number resources which is where the possible
    future numbergeddon lawsuits will likely start.