[arin-ppml] IPv6 Non-connected networks

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Fri Feb 5 16:22:26 EST 2010

Leo Vegoda wrote:
> On 5 Feb 2010, at 12:47, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
>
>> William Herrin wrote:

>>> Excuse me, the IANA at the request of the IETF set aside fc00::/7 for
>>> the purpose of addressing non-connected networks.
>>>

>> Perhaps one or more Regional Not-The-Internet Registries should apply to
>> IANA to administer assignments within that space.
>>

> As that /7 was registered following the publication of a Standards Track RFC (4193), we won't just be accepting applications without a suitable RFC telling us to do so.

Of course... but the ARIN PDP isn't how such an RFC would be produced.

But this all does suggest that no ARIN PDP is necessary at all, since
ARIN shouldn't be in that business (yet) anyway.

If we're going to hand out space which must be marked in such a way that
it can never be routed, it really should come from space for which IANA
(and everyone else) agrees will never be routed, not just from a spare
end of space on hand.

Matthew Kaufman