[arin-ppml] IPv6 Non-connected networks

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Feb 5 14:39:15 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 12:28 PM, cja at daydream.com <packetgrrl at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think a common pool is a good idea. It allows these non-connected
> networks to connect if their needs change and keeps them from having
> to get another allocation/assingment if they do choose to connect at a
> later date.

And if that later date is the one following the assignment, so much the better.

> I do see the desire to perhaps filter the non-connected networks and
> that having them out of a dedicated block facilitates that purpose but
> long-term when we are in an exhaustion phase again that address space
> would be stranded and although globally unique perhaps highly
> filtered.  You could argue that we have SO much IPv6 that we're never
> going to run out but I don't buy that argument.

Yeah, but the IETF set aside fc00::/7 for that purpose already and
only fd00::/8 is used for the so-called statistically unique
assignments. So we don't actually *have* to waste any new space to
make non-connected assignments from a distinct pool. At worst we'd
need a global policy to open fc00::/8 for assignment to the RIRs.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004