[arin-ppml] Petition Underway - Policy Proposal 95:CustomerConfidentiality - Time Sensitive

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 02:54:03 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/2/2010 7:00 PM, George Bonser wrote:
> If I, as a colo provider, didn't SWIP customers like this their entire /29,
> I may not be able to meet 80% utilization thresholds.  For purposes of
> calculating utilization, however, the /29 is considered 100% utilized as

It's possible to  keep record of utilization using  the form in sec.
4.2.3.7.5  of the NRPM  without SWIPing    -- where a full /29 block
is not re-assigned.

SWIPs  submitted to ARIN are not  (or should not)  be your only
records or way of keeping proper information about re-assignments  for
justifying additional allocation requests,  since most  ISPs and
end-users will have some allocations or assignments of blocks smaller
than /29.
e,g  it might look like

City 	Which IP Addresses Assigned 	No. of Internal Machines 	Purpose:
(CITY)            *192.0.0.0                          1
                            Collocated
                        192.0.0.1
                                  (Customer
                        192.0.0.2
                                    Name) -
                        192.0.0.3
                              4 customer IPs
                        192.0.0.4
                              4 provider
                        192.0.0.5
                                 IPs
                        192.0.0.6
                       *192.0.0.7

So, you have   4  IPs    that are part of the service provider's
network  192.0.0.0 and  192.0.0.7 broadcast addresses required for
your router,    plus  your 2  router IPs  for their  servers to use as
gateway.  Then 4 customer IPs, for their server.

It may be more convenient to just SWIP the entire /29,  provider IPs and all..
but then again,  this will  show the customer as  'responsible' for
some collocation provider router IPs then,  which might be
undesirable.

In this case... you have 100% utilized the /29.
You assigned 4 IPs to your equipment, and you delegated an address
block equivalent in allocation size of a /30 to the user  (probably
192.0.0.3 to 6).

The end-user's network block is  smaller than a  /29,  so  no SWIP
would be required under NRPM 4.2.3.7.2.

Your router on your premises...   and your inefficiency.
Now  if you peered with a customer router over a /30, and forwarded a
/29,  that would  indicate  reassignment of a full /29.

--
-J