[arin-ppml] Petition Underway - Policy Proposal 95:CustomerConfidentiality - Time Sensitive

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Tue Feb 2 23:07:28 EST 2010

On
> Behalf Of Scott Leibrand
> Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 7:28 PM
> To: arin-ppml at arin.net
> Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] Petition Underway - Policy Proposal
> 95:CustomerConfidentiality - Time Sensitive
>
> On 2/2/2010 7:00 PM, George Bonser wrote:
> >> So, it is possible for a single colocated server to consume a /29.
> >> Not everyone does it that way, of course.
> >>
> >>         Leo Bicknell - bicknell at ufp.org - CCIE 3440
> >>

> > It is possible for a PROVIDER to consume a /29 in providing a single
> > server.  The end user isn't issued a /29 for addressing their
> machines.
> > The end user in this case is issued a single IP address.
> >

> The end user may not use more than a single address in that case, but
> they will be assigned the entire /29, and it should be SWIP'd to them
> (or entered in rwhois).  If they add a second server in the same VLAN,
> it will be added to that /29, but the assignment will not change.

If all they have is a single IP address, then I am probably not going to
be trying to contact them anyway.  But if you don't have root on that
server, listing you as the technical POC is a waste of your time and
mine.  But that is what I consider a corner case because most of the IP
addresses are on your routers in that one special case, not their gear
so it is a gray area and, in my opinion, an interesting but distracting
case in the overall scope of this discussion.